(1) The Water Environment Association of Ontario (“WEAO”) knows that you care about how your Personal Information (as defined in section 2(1)) is used and shared. This notice describes how we treat your information. We are committed to the important goal of protecting your privacy and personally identifiable information. This privacy notice is applicable to any and all services provided on www.weao.org (the “Website”) and any other domain name that may be operated and/or owned by WEAO. By visiting the Website, you agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement.
(2) The ongoing commitment of the Water Environment Association of Ontario (WEAO) to protect the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information is addressed in Board Policy “Protection of Personal Information 2008-03”. Our policy complies with the requirements of The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”) enacted in April 2000.
What is Personal Information?
(1) “Personal Information” is personally identifiable information such as your name, residential address and e-mail address and includes information about your product and service inquiries and usage of the Website. WEAO collects the Personal Information set out in section 4.
(2) Personal Information is collected by WEAO only when you specifically and knowingly choose to provide it to us such as when you provide your email address to us through the Website or write an email to us containing Personal Information. We may also receive Personal Information from our business partners and other third parties provided that such third parties confirm to us that they have obtained your consent to the disclosure of your Personal Information to us.
(3) Publicly available information, such as a public directory listing of your name, address, telephone number and electronic address, is not considered Personal Information.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
(1) WEAO collects and uses your Personal Information primarily for the purpose of providing you with services and industry information. The Personal Information of WEAO members will enable WEAO to keep you updated with relevant information, which forms part of your package of membership benefits. Our communications with you may be via post, telephone or email, and may originate from WEAO officers or staff. As an industry organization, we may use the information you provide to assist us with databases. Visitors to WEAO Website may receive communications via pages on the Website.
(2) WEAO will provide specific notice before collecting any of your Personal Information. We will explain what Personal Information is being collected and how it will be used. If we wish to use the Personal Information for some other purpose other than the original consent, we would seek consent for the new purpose.
(3) We collect no Personal Information about you unless you choose to provide that information to us. We do not use techniques that collect your Personal Information about you without your knowledge. The information we collect will be relevant to the purposes for which they are to be used. WEAO communications are an integral part of keeping you informed, and may include interesting and relevant business information from third parties that we think might be relevant and interesting.
(4) Your Personal Information is used to communicate with you about your requests. Your Personal Information may also be used to contact you or to send you e-mail materials and other mailings about products and services that might be of interest to you. We may disclose your Personal Information to carefully selected and strictly controlled partners enabling them to provide you with products or services we feel will support your business activities, your career and personal development.
(5) You always have the option, however, to tell us not to share your Personal Information or to exclude you from certain activities or to remove you from our mailing list. You have the right to decline to have Personal Information collected or transferred for marketing purposes.
(6) Any Personal Information about our members or Website visitors is stored securely. Your Personal Information is retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes required by WEAO. We do not keep your Personal Information if it is no longer needed for the purposes required.
(7) We publish the names of WEAO members both in print and on WEAO Website.
Type of Personal Information Collected
WEAO collects the following types of Personal Information:
Use of Non-Personal Information
(1) WEAO’s operating system may automatically record some general information about your visit such as: the Internet domain for your Internet service provider, such as “company.com” or “service.ca” and the IP address of the computer accessing the Website; The type of browser (such as “Firefox version x or Internet Explorer version x”) you are using. The type of operating system you are using, such as Macintosh, Unix, or Windows. The date and time you visit our Website and the web pages that you visit on our Website, along with the address of the previous Website you were visiting, if you linked to us from another Website.
(2) We use this information for statistical analysis, to help us make our Website more useful to visitors. We may disclose this non-personalized information to third parties such as sponsors and/or use it for auditing purposes. This tracking system does not record personal information about individuals or link this information to any personal data collected.
(3) We may use “cookies” that identify you as a return visitor. A cookie is a piece of data that a Website can send to your browser, which may then store the cookie on your hard drive. So, when you come back to visit us again, we can tailor information to suit your individual preferences. The goal is to save you time and provide you with a more meaningful visit and to measure Website activity. Cookies do not contain any personally identifying information. Browsers such as Microsoft Explorer allow you to disable cookie collection if you wish, or inform you when a cookie is being stored on your hard drive.
(4) Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important. For that reason, WEAO never collects or maintains information on our Website from those we know are under 13.
(5) We do not send unsolicited email. If you add your name to an email subscriber’s list on our Website, you authorize WEAO to send you personalized messages from time to time. At no time do WEAO’s advertisers or third parties have access to your confidential information. You may cancel your subscription to these email messages at any time.
(6) This policy discloses the privacy practices for our Website. However, our Website contains links to other sites. Once you link to another Website, you are subject to the privacy and security policies of the new Website. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of all Websites you visit, especially if you share any personal information.
(1) WEAO uses data for testing purposes to ensure that its IT system for processing that data is working properly.
(2) WEAO respects your Personal Information and has taken appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure we have mitigated against such risks as loss of authorized access, destruction, use, modification or disclosure of data. If your membership has remained inactive or lapsed for 10 years, we will destroy all your Personal Information.
(1) WEAO will try to ensure that information about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, please inform WEAO of any change of name, address or other information. In the event you have questions about the accuracy of factual information we have collected about you, you will have access to that information in order to verify and update it. If we have disclosed inaccurate information about you to a third party, we will be pleased to contact the third party in order to correct the information. To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
(1) If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of your Personal Information or if you simply want to know whether we have any of your Personal Information on file, you may contact us. Except in limited circumstances, as specifically provided by applicable privacy legislation, WEAO can tell you whether they hold Personal Information about you. They can tell you the source of the information, allow you access to your Personal Information and find an account of the use that has been made or is being made of the information and the third parties to which it has been disclosed.
(2) WEAO will only refuse access to information about you in those circumstances permitted or required by applicable privacy legislation. If WEAO refuses access to you, it will provide you with the reasons for its refusal upon request. Exceptions may include information that contains references to other individuals, information that cannot be disclosed for legal, security or commercial proprietary reasons, and information that is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege. WEAO will respond to your requests for access in accordance with applicable privacy legislation.
(1) The foregoing policies are effective as of the “Last Update” date stated above. WEAO reserves the right to change this policy at any time with reasonable notice to users posted on the Website of the existence of a new Privacy Statement. This statement and the policies outlined here are not intended to and do not create any contractual or other legal rights in or on behalf of any party.
(1) WEAO is committed to the principles of data protection and will carry out its business in the spirit of PIPEDA. To deliver this, WEAO has appointed a Privacy Officer for the processing of personal data. Privacy Officer Water Environment Association of Ontario P.O. Box 176 Milton, Ontario L9T 4N9
(1) WEAO has instigated a formal process to manage requests for access to the data we hold about you. However, in the first instance we encourage you to contact our Executive Administrator to discuss and resolve any concerns you may have relating to the use/acquisition of your data. You may wish to continue the process and contact the federal “Policy Commissioner” at email@example.com or contact its toll-free inquiries line, 1-800-282-1376 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-282-1376 end_of_the_skype_highlighting, available during regular business hours across Canada.
Ten Principles of Fair Information Practices
(1) Accountability. WEAO is responsible for the Personal Information under its control and shall designate one or more individuals who shall be accountable for the company’s compliance with the procedures and principles set out in our Privacy Statement.
(2) Identifying Purpose. WEAO will identify the purpose for which Personal Information is collected at or before the time the information is collected. The purposes for which information is collected, used or disclosed by WEAO must be those that a reasonable person would consider are appropriate in the circumstances.
(3) Consent. The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information, except where consent is not required by privacy legislation, for example, where the collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information is solely for journalistic, artistic or literary purposes.
(4) Limiting Collection. WEAO shall limit the collection of Personal Information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the company. Personal Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
(5) Limiting Use. Disclosure and Retention. Personal Information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal Information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected.
(6) Accuracy. Personal Information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
(7) Safeguards. Personal Information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
(8) Openness. WEAO shall make readily available to its customers and employees specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of Personal Information.
(9) Individual Access. Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her Personal Information and shall be given access to that information except where WEAO is permitted or required by law not to disclose Personal Information to the individual customer or employee. An individual customer or employee shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information disclosed to him or her and have it amended as appropriate.
(10) Challenging Compliance. An individual customer or employee shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the principles in our Privacy Statement to WEAO.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Connect with others in the industry, stay up-to-date on the latest news and events, and start making a difference. Sign up today.