On Sunday April 14, 2019, the Water Environment Association of Ontario (WEAO) will hold its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. At that meeting the Nominating Committee will report to the members the Directors that have been acclaimed or elected as well as the Officers for the coming year.
The 2019 Nominating Committee Chair is John Presta, Durham Region, Past President WEAO Board, and WEF Delegate.
To facilitate the preparation of the slate and to ensure that the process is open to all members, the Nominating Committee is now issuing a Call for Nominations from the members of the WEAO (Association).
The WEAO governance model is volunteer driven and relies on a strong Board of Directors that helps to ensure the consistent, high quality programs and services that WEAO members have come to expect. The Board is comprised of up to 17 members, either by election or appointment.
Elected Directors of the Board are expected to serve for a period of three years to direct and support the Association and its activities through the following:
- Develop and monitor the strategic plan, which is harmonized with the Water Environment Federation (WEF);
- Actively participate in Board meetings and related activities;
- Support and participate in Board development;
- Fulfill customary Board fiduciary responsibilities, including approval of the annual budget and monitoring financial status;
- Oversee the work of the WEAO Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
WEAO Board members must demonstrate a willingness to contribute time, talent, and leadership skills to the Association. Candidates with WEAO volunteer experience are highly encouraged to submit their nomination.
WEAO Board members must be available to attend a minimum of eight of the ten Board meetings annually and participate in ad hoc task groups from time to time. It is imperative that nominees have the support of their employers to fulfill these volunteer duties.
This invitation is extended to all WEAO members in good standing. Anyone interested in sitting on the WEAO Board of Directors for the next three-year term, beginning at the AGM on April 14, 2019, is asked to complete the nomination form.
Benefits of participation on the WEAO Board of Directors are numerous:
- Connect with colleagues in the wastewater sector
- Demonstrate your leadership skills
- Further develop individual leadership potential
- Increase your confidence in speaking in front of groups
- Gain a better understanding of governance issues
- Contribute to the betterment of the Association
Previous Board members share that their experience on the Board has greatly contributed to personal growth and professional development.
This is a chance to contribute to your association, to be challenged, and to develop and share your professional knowledge and expertise.
Subject line: Nomination to WEAO Board
All nominations will be held in confidence. The Nominating Committee will review all submissions and prepare a slate for approval of the Board and for presentation to the members. All individuals who submit a Nomination Form will be advised of the Committee’s decision. If you have any questions regarding the Board’s roles and responsibilities, please do not hesitate to contact Heather Tyrrell, WEAO Chief Administrative Officer at 416-410-6933.
The deadline to submit a nomination is January 31, 2019.