Get in on the ground floor of a multimillion-dollar wastewater upgrade!
Are you an experienced wastewater treatment superintendent, manager or supervisor in a municipal or comparable public sector environment? Do you combine leadership skills with the ability to operate a complex wastewater treatment system? Do you hold Level IV Wastewater Treatment certification, or perhaps Level III certification with eligibility to obtain a Level IV licence by examination? If so, read on and get ready to make your next career move!
Hamilton Water is carrying out major upgrades in the Hamilton Wastewater Treatment Facility, with a $315-million construction project underway, and you’re invited to join a team of leaders in the industry. This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground floor of this exciting initiative, and provide leadership in a state-of-the-art operating environment as a Wastewater Treatment Superintendent.
Leveraging your operations maintenance and management experience, you will ensure the safe, efficient and effective delivery of Hamilton’s wastewater treatment programs by providing management, administration and oversight. You will be expected to ensure regulatory compliance and assume all responsibilities, as Overall Responsible Operator, for the operation, control and optimization of the Wastewater Treatment Plants, wastewater pumping stations and CSO tanks within the City of Hamilton.
Your qualifications as Superintendent of Wastewater Treatment include:
- Proven experience with, and knowledge of theories, practices and trends in an operations environment in maintenance and management, normally acquired by attaining an accredited Engineering degree at a recognized university or a diploma from a three-year community college course in an accredited Engineering Technology program in Civil, Chemical, Environmental or Water/Wastewater related program.
- A Level IV Wastewater Treatment licence by exam from OWWCO/MOECC Ontario or ability to obtain a Level IV Wastewater Treatment licence by examination (Note: Prerequisite to write exam – you must be a Professional Engineer or possess a Level III Wastewater Treatment Licence).
- Proven experience, knowledge and proficiency in the operation of a complex wastewater treatment system, and advanced knowledge, experience and competence in chemical, hydraulic and optimization computer models for wastewater treatment.
- Significant supervisory/management experience gained through progressively more responsible positions in the area of water/wastewater service delivery.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in construction practices related to the wastewater industry, and in project management, with financial management skills such as developing, implementing and monitoring budgets.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of statutes, regulations and by-laws affecting the Department/Section such as Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change Acts, including the Ontario Water Resources Act (OWRA), Nutrient Management Act, as well as Ministry of Labour Acts and Regulations, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Ability to deal effectively with elected officials, representatives of other levels of government, management, peers, staff and the general public.
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgment in emergency situations.
- Highly effective leadership, facilitation, communication, presentation, interpersonal, conflict-resolution, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
NOTE 1: As a condition of employment, the successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (formerly Policy Information Check), at his/her own expense, prior to beginning work in this position.
NOTE 2: Must possess and maintain a Class "G" Driver's Licence valid in the Province of Ontario and a point-free driving record and/or a record found to be satisfactory to the City of Hamilton.
This full-time, permanent position offers a wage range of $51.017 to $59.670 per hour (based on a 35-hour work week schedule).
Hamilton. A city of progress.
At the City of Hamilton, our vision is “to be the best place in Canada to raise a child and age successfully.” With our rich history, culturally strong and diverse communities, blend of urban and rural attractions, and ideal location in the heart of the Golden Horseshoe, Hamilton is a vibrant community of neighbours. We are also a leading employer, with many opportunities to grow and excel. We invite you to share in our vision as part of the Hamilton Water Division in the Public Works Department.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on this Wastewater Treatment Superintendent position and to apply online. Alternatively, you may send your resume, by Wednesday, October 26, 2016, quoting Job ID #12069, to: Staffing/Workforce Planning Specialist, Human Resources, c/o City Hall, 71 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON L8P 4Y5. Fax: 905-546-2650. In person: Standard Life Building, 120 King Street West, 9th Floor, Hamilton.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.